Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Crocheted Slippers

When the weather starts getting cooler, it makes me want to get out my crochet hooks and start making slippers. I love making slippers, because they are fast, easy and fun. I only know one crochet stitch - I think it is called "single crochet" or something like that. That is all that is needed to make these kind of slippers. I tried to take pictures of each step. This "tutorial" (I'm using that word very loosely) is for people like me - beginners, visual learners, and those who have no clue how to read proper crochet patterns. If you are not one of those people, please don't go any further. Or laugh at me.

First, crochet a chain that is 3 links long. Then, stick your hook into the first link and start single crocheting. Just go round and round the outside of the loop. Every so often, you will have to add a stitch. To do that, just make another chain link on with your hook before you dig in to the next link to do a single crochet.

As your circle gets bigger, you will need to decrease stitches every now and then. That means, when you go to single crochet, instead of dipping your hook into the next link to do it, you skip that link and go to the one beyond it. That will make your circle start to tighten and form a cup. You will end up with a mushroom cap-looking circle like this.When you are making your first slipper, it helps to have the person you are making it for nearby. I put the cap onto Queenie's foot, and discovered it was too loose. I pulled a couple of rows back out and did them again, but skipping more stitches. (You want it to hug the foot fairly snugly.) So basically, you are just spiraling down the foot. Once you have a good sized cap for the toes, stop. Reverse direction. It will be a little tougher to find the links to dig your hook into, but you will get the hang of it. Don't go all the way around. You must stop again and reverse. This is creating the opening that make the mary jane style of slipper.Do this until the hole in the middle is the size you want. Then, continue going all the way around 2 times to create the strap. Once that is done, go back around, stopping and reversing to create the heel.Pinch the heel ends together. and crochet them shut. I don't know what was going on with the lighting in this picture. I'm looking a little jaundiced, don't you think? Bleh! Voila! You are done. Well almost.
You can leave it like that, or you can embellish.

Once you make one pair of slippers, it is a lot easier to calculate how big to make them for other people's feet. Another good thing about these is that they are stretchy and can fit several sizes.
For what it's worth, I used the red heart acrylic yarn from walmart and I think the hook was a size 8-5mm or thereabouts?
After I finish Queenie's other slipper, I need to make Superhero's. Hmmm... I need to come up with a boyish style...

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh!! I so totally need a pair of those! Very cute, i wish I could make them, I lurve slipper socks!

    ReplyDelete