Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tasty Cells

Sugar Baby has been studying cells in science lately. To add a little fun to her studies, we made jello animal cells. To avoid the protests/revolts/anarchy that would undoubtedly occur if only Sugar Baby was allowed to do the "experiment", I let the other ducklings make cells, too.
The first step was to consult her book and the internet to refresh my memory of cells and their parts. (How did our homeschooling predecessors ever survive without the internet?)
The next step was to lay out all the cell components.
  • cell membrane: plastic baggie
  • cytoplasm: jello
  • nucleus: laffy tafft
  • nucleolus: sweet tart
  • vacuole: chocolate chips
  • centrosome: bottle cap
  • lysosome: raisins
  • golgi body: gummy worms
  • mitochondria: tootsie rolls
  • ribosomes: sprinkles
I explained what each part was as I passed them out, but I'm pretty sure the only thoughts going through the ducklings' heads were revolving around how tasty the finished product was going to be.
The next step was to send everyone OUTSIDE to eat their cells. Good thing I did, because there were lots of cytoplasm spills.

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh, Im doing cells right now too!! I could have participated in this experiment! Cool :)

    ReplyDelete