I got online and found a recipe. We have french toast every now and then, but the beauty of these puppies is that they are so sweet that you do not need any syrup to go with them! Do you know what that means? That means Mama Duck doesn't have to spend an extra half an hour after breakfast scrubbing syrupy stickiness from benches, tables, table legs, floors, faces, between fingers, books, hair, high chairs... you get the picture. So, I present to you, my loyal reader(s?)... French Toast Sticks.
Ingredients:

1 loaf bread (The first time, I used homemade whole wheat bread & cut it into thick slices. I thought it was better than the store-bought loaf.)
4 eggs (I used 5 because my chickens are laying small eggs right now.)
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
4 Tbs pancake syrup
2 Tbs brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
butter
Combine everything except the bread & butter. Make a funny face and mix it all up. Like so:

Slice the bread into strips. Don't make them too skinny or your sticks will be floppy. Try to make them look as much like store-bought ones as possible. That way your kids will be more likely to try them. After slicing the bread, build something with it. Like so:

Dip each slice in the egg mixture. Just long enough to get them coated, but not soggy. (I had to use the spotlight effect on this photo so you couldn't see the grease and crumbs in the background. Just being honest here.)
Melt your some butter in a skillet and fry each stick until golden brown. Then you will have a nice little platter that looks like this:
(I spotlighted this one to make them look even more special. Spotlighting is fun.)Now, you can eat them as is, or you can place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze them. Once they are frozen, put them in a plastic bag & stick them back in the freezer to pull out for a quick & yummy breakfast. Just reheat in the oven at 350F for 10 minutes or so.
My ducklings liked these even better than the store-bought ones. I think it was because the store-bought ones have more of a nutmeggy flavor.
Bon appetit!

No comments:
Post a Comment